Dealing with anxious thoughts can be difficult and overwhelming. While it’s normal to experience anxious thoughts, understanding how to manage them can help you feel more in control. Here are five tips to help you manage anxious thoughts:
1. Recognize Anxiety: When you feel anxious, take a few moments to examine what you’re feeling. Determine if the anxiety is rooted in reality or if it is unfounded. Recognizing anxiety as it arises can help you better control it.
2. Practice Mindfulness: Mindfulness involves being aware and present in the moment. It can help you manage anxious thoughts by enabling you to pause and identify irrational, panic-inducing thoughts.
3. Challenge Negative Thoughts: Identifying the source of anxious thoughts can help you challenge them. For instance, if you’re having a persistent negative thought, ask yourself if that thought is true or if it would still be true in a few days, weeks, or months.
4. Learn Coping Skills: Coping skills can help change the way you think and react to anxious thoughts. Some coping skills include deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, and meditation.
5. Ask for Help: If your anxious thoughts become overwhelming, don’t hesitate to seek help. Talking to a mental health professional can help you learn the tools to manage anxious thoughts and create a plan to keep them in check.
By recognizing the signs of anxious thoughts, practicing mindfulness and challenging negative thoughts, learning coping skills, and seeking help when needed, you can take steps to manage your anxiety.