How To Care For Your Mental Health During Difficult Times
Difficult times can seem overwhelming, leaving us feeling helpless in the face of what’s happening. It is important to remember that it’s normal to feel this way but also that it is possible to take care of yourself during hard times.
Here are some tips for how to practice self-care during difficult times:
1. Connect with people – Connecting with those closest to us is one way to remind yourself that you’re not in this alone and that help is available. Reach out to someone and have a virtual chat or a socially distanced outing.
2. Get enough rest – Getting enough sleep is important for our emotional and physical well-being. Make sure to aim for 8 hours of sleep and follow a consistent bedtime routine if possible.
3. Stay active – Exercise is an effective way to reduce stress and boost mood. You don’t have to be training for a marathon; just try to find something that gets your heart pumping and your body moving.
4. Eat healthily – Eating a balanced, healthy diet is essential for our physical and mental health. Follow a food plan that contains all the essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients our bodies need.
5. Allow yourself time to feel – It can be intimidating to face difficult emotions, however they are an important part of our healing process. Accepting and allowing yourself to feel sad, angry, scared, or any other emotion can help to move us through the discomfort.
6. Prioritize self-care – Make sure to take regular breaks and do things that make you feel good. Put time in your day for activities that bring you joy, like painting, reading, journaling, or listening to music.
7. Get comfortable with uncertainty – Things are beyond our control right now. The best we can do is accept this and make space for the uncertainty that is happening in our lives.
Although difficult times can be stressful and overwhelming, it’s important to remember to take good care of ourselves. Practicing self-care can help us to stay grounded and better manage the stress we’re under.